he will offer a comprehensive whole-day walk around the town, to everything worth knowing about Chania: the municipal market, the old venetian harbour & walls, obscure and unknown spots and areas of interest, the old soap factory, local shops, the great mansions & churches, and a generous sampling of the local cuisine
Chania is the second largest city of Crete and the capital of the Chania regional unit. It lies along the north coast of the island, about 70 km (43 mi) west of Rethymno and 145 km (90 mi) west of Heraklion. During the 1970s Crete became a major tourist destination for Greek and international tourists. Since the decade of 1990 the city of Chania entered a new era, because many constructions have been made, like a new airport, port, educational facilities and it is considered a prominent tourist resort in the Mediterranean Sea.
The city of Chania can be divided in two parts: the old town and the modern city which is the larger one. The old town is situated next to the old harbour and is the matrix around which the whole urban area was developed. It used to be surrounded by the old Venetian fortifications that started to be built in 1538; of them the eastern and western parts have survived. From the south, the old town is continuous with the new, and from the north the physical border is the sea. The centre of the modern city is the area extending next to the old town and especially towards the south. Other historical buildings in the area include Eleftherios Venizelos’s, the old French school, the Church of Agia Magdalini, The “Palace” and The Church of Evangelistria